Sunday, May 2, 2010

social amnesia

There's this woman who I run into frequently on my walks with Tater Tot that has major social amnesia issues. I'm not poking fun, since I think it's a genuine health problem, but it is so strange to see her 3-4 times a week and have the EXACT. SAME. CONVERSATION.

And not like in the "Oh how's your day? Weather has been nice lately...hope it doesn't rain again" sort of way, like an exact transcript of introductions and questions. It's as if I'm a character in Memento or something. Very bizarre feeling.



It goes something like this, my answers usually vary slightly, but hers are identical every time I see her, which is the strangest part to me. She remembers enough to ask the exact same questions...but doesn't remember that she's asked them before:
Oh is that a pomeranian?
Yes it is.
I love pomeranians, they're such cute dogs. Is that a boy or girl?
He's a boy.
Oh, how nice. How old?
He's going to be 8 in June.
8?? He seems so young! What a nice dog. Can I pet him?
Sure, he loves being pet.
Awww, what a friendly guy.

That's weird, right? I mean that's a pretty lengthy conversation...and I've had it with her about 15 times now.




No comments: