Wednesday, March 18, 2009

wtf wednesday: tibetan goji berry

Have you people heard of this so-called superfood?


It's the Tibetan Goji Berry. It's kind of like a dried cranberry, only it's not wet and chewy like a cranberry or raisin, it's very dry. It's also pretty flavorless when compared to other dried berries. I've been eating them pretty regularly, but not because they taste particularly good. They sort of taste like...soil? I don't know how to describe it. It's a very organic taste, which is a nice way of saying "nasty".

I had never even seen them before I moved to China, and I'm a frequent shopper at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, so the little dudes must have been hiding out in some corner because they've totally escaped me until now. Supposedly, these berries do pretty much anything you could possibly want a food to do to your body: from strengthening your legs to "improving sexual function" (I'm not even sure what that means).

Goji berries have been around forever, but recently there's been a craze for them in the United States and most of the websites I checked were selling them for 20-30 bucks per 12oz. That is total insanity! I can buy 12oz. for $1.76. I don't even really like them, but they're supposed to be super good for you (I'll keep you updated on whether I find my legs to be stronger or sexual function to be improved) and with inflation so high I feel like it's my duty as an American to buy a crap ton of them and bring them back with me in July.

Oh, they're also known as "wolfberries" which is a much more awesome name if you ask me, but I guess it's not as marketable as "goji".

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

send some back with Rod...as well as lots of gifts for me. I want a dress from China!

Frank said...

Improves sexual function, eh?...


Do they sell those by the truckload?

Kel said...

goji juice was really popular in the states several years ago, my mom and some of her friends got really into it and ended up with all this hilarious literature like "LUNG TRANSPLANT NO LONGER NEEDED! THANK YOU GOJI JUICE!!"

it was super expensive, $150 for a month's supply (that's like 1oz a day!)

then they started mixing the goji juice with vodka and now it's just a huge joke in my family.lol...