Thursday, February 19, 2009

product review: skippy's peanut butter and chocolate swirl

I couldn't find a photograph of Skippy's Peanut Butter and Chocolate Swirl variety, but trust me, it's out there, haunting the shelf of a grocery store near you. I would have taken a photograph of the jar I had, but it was the Chinese Skippy brand so everything was in Chinese and I also threw it away after trying it. That's right, I THREW IT AWAY.

I've always been curious about peanut butter swirl jars, y'know, like those ones that come with jelly already mixed in with the pb (haven't tried those yet), so when I saw the chocolate peanut butter mix at Carrefour a few days ago and noticed that it actually had LESS calories and fat than the regular creamy peanut butter spread, I had to buy it.

Chocolate and peanut butter are probably my favorite combination of anything in the world, having them both in one convenient jar seemed too good to be true. And it was. If you want the deliciousness of chocolate and peanut butter combined the next time you make a pb and banana morning sammy, you'd be better off just squeezing some Hershey's syrup on top than you would be using this nasty product.

First, the chocolate was way overwhelming at the top of the jar and if was difficult to mix it well. Second, the peanut butter was lacking in flavor. It wasn't sweet at all and didn't really taste like anything other than "mushy". The chocolate also wasn't very sweet. I mean, really, there was nothing good about this product. I THREW IT AWAY, and this is coming from a girl who literally only has $3 to my name until I get paid in a week which means I have to survive on the oatmeal, protein powder, rice, and soup mixes I have stock piled in my room for the next 7 days. For me to throw away something edible is a clear indication that it wasn't really that edible.

Verdict: Skip it. It's a waste of money and the few calories you'll expend tasting it before realizing it's nasty.

1 comment:

Andy said...

This is probably the right time to say I'm not a HUGE fan of Peanut Butter. I mean, I do like it, but I've never been a fan.

This would have seemed worthy to try, soo now, I know I have to skip it.