Saturday, August 30, 2008

mooncakes: NOT "out of this world'

I had to use some sort of space pun in the title of this post, and "out of this world" was the only thing my jet-lagged brain could think of.

On the 15th day of the 8th lunar month (usually September) of the Chinese calendar there is a festival known as the Mid-Autumn festival or Moon festival. I actually don't know too much about it, but I hear lanterns are somehow involved as well as the consumption of a Chinese pastry known as a mooncake.

Pastry you say? Cake you say? I'm totally in! I had to try one of these things, because 1. it's so Chinese and 2. there's a giant display of about 100 different mooncake varieties in the Carrefour (French version of Walmart here in Shanghai) where I shop.

Verdict: nasty. I lived in France for 9 months and became a total fatty from over consumption of pastries and bread, so I'm somewhat of an expert when it comes to the deliciousness of baked goods. If you can bake it, I've probably eaten it. More than once. I've sworn to never go down that road again (fat does not equal fabulous, in case you were confused), so it's probably a good thing that I absolutely hated the little mooncake thing.

I'm surprised that anything with the word "cake" in it could actually taste bad, but the Chinese pulled it off! They're also pretty pricey, the cheapest one was about 8RMB. I could buy a whole bowl of noodles at a sit down restaurant for that price. I took one bite and tossed it in the trash.

But I did try it, and that has to count for something.

4 comments:

Neal said...

Kudos for trying something new.

Andy said...

Oh, when you come visit me in France I PROMISE I'll give you good pastries.

I'll drag you to the dark side again. mwhahahaha.

Anonymous said...

You know what those "mooncakes" look like they could be good for?

You know how sometimes you sit at a table at a restaurant (or sometimes even your own house) and one leg of the table isn't touching the floor, making the table wobble from side to side? A mooncake looks like it would be perfect to place inbetween the ground and that one short leg.

That's why I carry them in my wallet at all times.

Bunny said...

neal - thanks...i'm going to give them another try, it might have been nasty because i bought the cheapest one available, maybe they get better the more you spend?

andy - mmmmh.

anon - you must have a big wallet