Sunday, February 24, 2008

oscar winners!

I love making Oscar predictions. I also love watching the Oscars with my parents and their friends who suddenly become distinguished film critics during the ceremony. My parents actually saw nearly all the nominated films, but if you've only seen ONE of the films nominated for anything (and it was, uh, editing) than you're not really making a "prediction" inasmuch as you're making a "wild guess." Hence why I only predicted the categories I knew about/actually saw the nominated films.

Well, here are my results:

Best Picture
should win: No Country For Old Men
will win: There Will be Blood
WON: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
I'm really pleased about this, I wanted No Country to win but Daniel Day-Lewis is so amazing I was afraid he'd steal the Best Picture away from the Cohens (by the way, how cute are they?! I want to make movies with MY sister!).

Best Actor in a Leading Role
should win: Daniel Day-Lewis
will win: Daniel Day-Lewis
WON: DANIEL DAY-LEWIS
Not surprised by this, Daniel Day-Lewis is so amazing.

Best Actress in a Leading Role
should win: Cate Blanchett
will win: Cate Blanchett
WON: MARION COTILLARD
Definitely deserved, but I was surprised by this choice, as was a clearly shaken up Marion.

Best Actor in a Supporting Role
should win: Javier Bardem
will win: Javier Bardem
WON: JAVIER BARDEM
Too bad he cut his hair for the award show! He should have totally rocked the bowl cut.

Best Actress in a Supporting Role
should win: Cate Blanchett
will win: Tilda Swinton
WON: TILDA SWINTON
John Stewart's joke about Cate Blanchett being a versatile actress was hilarious, I thought her Bob Dylan performance deserved an Oscar, but was expecting Tilda Swinton to win. Side note, can Swinton PLEASE put on some mascara or something? Looking at her hurts my eyes she's so blank and robot looking.

Animated Film
should win: Ratatouille
will win: Ratatouille
WON: RATATOUILLE
If Surf's Up had 70 percent more scenes of the baby penguins, I bet it would have won.

Art Direction
should win: Sweeney Todd the Demon Barber of Fleet Street
will will: There Will be Blood
WON: SWEENEY TODD
YAY!!!! Everyone was so naggy and whiny about Sweeney Todd, I mean, it got good enough reviews but critics had a lot of negative things to say about it (the opening sequence, the singing, the "miscasting" of Helena Bonham Carter, etc). I personally LOVED it so I was thrilled it got the much deserved art direction award.

Cinematography
should win: There Will be Blood
will will: There Will be Blood
WON: THERE WILL BE BLOOD
The movie is gorgeous and the technical techniques are very impressive, I thought it was a shoe-in.

Directing
should win: No Country For Old Men
will win: No Country For Old Men
WON: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
The Cohen brothers could have at least PRETENDED to be surprised.

Editing
should win: No Country For Old Men
will win: No Country For Old Men
WON: THE BOURNE ULTIMATUM
Well I was WAY off on this one. Action movies are difficult to edit, so I definitely understand why the film received the Oscar.

Music (Score)
should win: 3:10 to Yuma
will win: Atonement
WON: ATONEMENT
Okay, so honestly, I didn't really think 3:10 to Yuma SHOULD win but that movie was SOOO good and it was completely ignored by the Academy so I had to give it a shout out. My prediction was right with Atonement...I have to say I'm surprised Keira Knightley didn't completely ruin that film.

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
Who should win: No Country For Old Men
Who will win: No Country For Old Men
WON: NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN
Well, duh.

Writing (Original Screenplay)
should win: Juno
will win: Juno
WON: JUNO
Diablo Cody gives me hope that success in the writing/film industry IS possible without connections in the industry. Although, she WAS a stripper, so she probably "knew" people. Also, I heard that she was supposed to be the person to wear Stewart Weizman's annual $1 million shoes, but her fugly tent dress made it impossible to verify.

No comments: