Tuesday, January 15, 2008

dear diary, mood: apathetic

There are many things that suck about being an RA. There are a lot of things that make the job worth it...but those are all boring and no one wants to hear about them. One of the biggest drawbacks to being an RA is that residents start thinking of you as ONLY "the RA" and forget completely that you are indeed a "person," too.

Also, I hate being called "the RA." I have a name, douches, and it's written a million times on my door. Keep in mind that you only have to remember ONE name, whereas I have to remember 32 of ya'lls.

But I digress. EARLY this morning I received a call on the duty phone (4:40 AM), waking me from an amazing dream featuring hunkie Anthony Bourdain. On the other end of the line was a guy saying he was locked out downstairs. Great. SO I reluctantly get out of bed, go downstairs, grab the master key, and walk to the person's room. There was a girl standing outside in a robe waiting for me. This is what happened:
Me: "Didn't a guy call?"
Her: "Yeah I had him call because my cell phone is inside."
I don't really get why she couldn't have used his phone herself, but whatever.
Me: "Oh, okay." *unlocks apartment door*
Her: *walks in* "Okay, thanks."
Me: "Wait, don't you need into your room?"
Her: "No."
Me: "UHHHH, aren't your roommates here?"
Her: "Yeah..."
Me: "Well, did you knock on the door before you called me?"
Her: "No, they're sleeping and I didn't want to wake them up."
Me: "WELL what do you think I was doing when you called me?"
Her: *looks at me sheepishly*
Me: "Right. Next time you get locked out at 4:45 in the morning you need to knock on your door before you call and wake up the RA at 5AM to let you in, because we like to sleep, too."

Besides the fact that I think it's EXTREMELY inconsiderate to wake a stranger up to let you into your room because you're too irresponsible to remember your keys (and then not even say "I'm sorry" or "thank you"), what are these people going to do when they live in a REAL apartment? You can't call up your landlord at 3AM because you went outside and forgot your key to get back into the building. And would you call your property manager to ask them what you should do if your smoke detector won't stop beeping every 10 seconds? No. You'd figure it out on your own, not call me to figure it out so you don't have to use your brain.

When all else fails and school work or RA stuff has me down, I look on the internet for Tater Tot-esque products. Pomeranians aren't a very popular breed to put on merchandise (in contrast to, say, Scottie dogs or pugs) but luckily they look exactly like a fox, so anything fox-y is an easy Tater substitute. Check out this friggin ADORABLE bookmark (on sale for $8 for two) from redenvelope.com, sadly it comes with a stupid bear bookmark, but you could always regift that one:


I KNOW, RIGHT? I want, like, 12 of them. I can have a whole Tot family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Next time take your SWEET ASS time walking down to the room (i.e. go back to sleep, turn the phone off, and take care of her in the morning)